It’s easy to get caught up in all the go-go-go of life, especially when you work for yourself and have a life outside of work.
Summer brings an opportunity to slow down, spread your blanket out on the grass, and watch the world go by.
Except you said you’d…
…drop the kids off at day camp…
…visit your relatives…
…go to your neighbor’s barbeque…
…work on that project…
Before you know it, you’ve committed all your free time. You may be looking forward to doing all of these, but maybe not all at once?
The call to live life at the speed of more-better-faster is ever present. There will always be one more thing to do and do better, and the temptation to do it faster for the sake of productivity. It’s an unconscious default mode that can choke off your inspiration, and leave you feeling empty – especially when you’d like to be taking things slower.
Today, spread out on your blanket and reflect on how you’re filling your time, and think about how you’d really like to fill it. Give yourself permission to prioritize those things that feed you most, and if you don’t know what those are, dream them up. Then breathe deep, knowing you’re spending your time in a way that’s just right for you.
Below are a few questions to get you started on your new “ideal life” permission list.
Take a few moments to reflect. Jot down your answers. This just may be the start of something amazing…. it’s up to you!
- What are you filling your time with currently?
- How much is it feeding you, and the soul of your business?
- What permission do you need to give yourself to fill your time in a way that works better for you?
- What short term changes can you make to shift the balance in that direction?
- What longer term shifts do you need to make to sustain this new direction?
- What action will you take today to get you one step closer to your ideal?